The apparent electrocution of a young woman wearing headphones has prompted a warning to consumers from authorities against buying cheap, unapproved USB chargers or adaptors.
The woman was allegedly wearing headphones and holding a laptop when she was found dead with burns to her head, ears and chest on the NSW Central Coast
A report is being prepared for the coroner after the 28-year-old woman’s body was found in a home in North Gosford on April 23, police say.
Officers from Brisbane Water are investigating the circumstances.
NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe said there was a “real and present danger” with electrical items that are not approved to Australian standards.
“We’ve been trying to hammer that message for some time, but I suppose this is a bit of a wake-up call,” Mr Stowe told AAP.
He warned people not to be tempted by cheap, replica products.
“These devices pose a serious risk of electrocution or fire,” he said.
“With electrical items, you don’t get much of a second chance.”
Fair Trading NSW says a number of unapproved and non-compliant USB style chargers, travel adaptors and power boards had been removed from a shop in Campsie, in Sydney’s west.
The Campsie trader faces fines of up to $87,500 and two years’ imprisonment, meanwhile a corporation can be fined up to $875,000.
Consumers who have already bought unapproved and non-compliant USB-style chargers, used to charge phones and tablets, are advised to bend the pins on the chargers and throw them away immediately.
Anyone with information about unapproved and non-compliant electrical or gas products should contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20.