Luis Suarez banned for four months for biting ChielliniExtended coverage: World Cup 2014Match reports, analysis and more at the World Game
The decision by FIFA rules Suarez out of the remainder of the World Cup and the start of the upcoming Premier League season.
FIFA spokeswoman Delia Fischer says Suarez has also been fined $120,00.
“Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch and in particular not at the FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field,” she said.
The Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) says it will file an appeal against the ban on Thursday.
AUF president Wilmar Valdez said the ban was uncalled for, describing the punishment as “totally exaggerated”.
“We feel the decision is totally over the top because for us there was no incontrovertible proof to warrant such a tough punishment,” Valdez said.
“Uruguay does not seek privileges or exceptions. What Uruguay does ask is that the law be applied equally to all and FIFA should ensure that is the case.
“And we have seen more or similarly aggressive incidents than that involving Luis Suarez and yet (in those cases FIFA’s) disciplinary commission did not act as it is now doing,” he complained.
Uruguayan football players rally around Suarez
Uruguayan skipper Diego Lugano said the team is shocked by the punishment.
“Indignant. Powerless. I think this is what we all feel,” said Lugano, but “those who are in charge are in charge.
“A hug to Luis, who as always will bounce back.
“We will carry on with humility, solidarity, commitment, recognising our mistakes and with our heads always held high,” said Lugano, who was sat on the bench for the match as he was injured.
A propósito de lo que ha pasado…: 佛山桑拿网,佛山桑拿网,/IKALoExl3W || pic.twitter佛山桑拿网,/E9nZkbLwsS
— Diego Lugano (@DiegoLuganoorg) June 26, 2014
Nacional club, where Suarez started his playing career, offered him “total support” while journalist Federico Paz tweeted “9 matches … who did Luis kill?”
¡Fuerza Luis! Más unidos que nunca. ¡Vamos Uruguay! pic.twitter佛山桑拿网,/yooqtR9FA0
— AUFseleccion (@AUFseleccion) June 26, 2014The greatest injustice: Sports Minister
Uruguayan Sports Minister Liliam Kechichian labelled the ban as “disproportionate”, saying he had seen far worse hard contact incidents during previous World Cups.
“This is the greatest injustice to have resulted” from such a clash, said Kechichian.
“This is something which affects the whole of Uruguayan society.”
It is the third time the 27-year-old South American star has been banned for biting an opponent. There was an incident in Ajax in 2010 and another one last year when he bit the arm of Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.
FIFA ban hailed by England’s player union
Meanwhile, the head of England’s players’ union, Gordon Taylor, has labelled the FIFA ban a “massive backward step” for Suarez, who plays in the English Premier League for Liverpool.
Taylor added FIFA ought to have made “counselling and treatment” a condition of Suarez’s ban.
He said the PFA had already helped players with mental health and anger management problems.
“I would suggest we’ve been successful in about two out of three cases. So the odds would be in favour if that was addressed seriously, but of course Luis needs to accept that and be prepared to undertake that.”